top of page

Animal Control Making Changes Regarding Calls

Daniel Prince

For animal-related emergencies, call 429-1611

One of the issues brought up by listeners during the forum was animal control, and specifically how hard it is to get someone in that office to receive or return a phone call. Yesterday, the Union County Animal Shelter posted on its Facebook page, saying that they are working toward some solutions to better serve the community for animal control calls. Currently, there is only one animal control officer serving the entire county. These changes are effective immediately. For true animal-related emergencies, call the non-emergency line at 429-1611. For welfare checks and animal complaints, call 429-1666. Animal control hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. They note that animal control does not handle wildlife; it deals with domesticated animals only. The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources should be called for wildlife issues. Their number is 864-288-1131. Animal control officers do not pick up or remove deceased animals from yards or roadways, either. If the dead animal is on the roadway, you can call SCDOT at 427-3575. If the dead animal is on private property, the property owner is responsible for removal.

no audio
00:00 / 01:04
bottom of page